GIS Services & Support
The GIS Service Center offers GIS mapping & analytics support for the University of Minnesota enterprise. We specialize in campus administrative applications of GIS, but will field questions on any University of Minnesota GIS topic. Do you have a general question about GIS, or are you a GIS user needing support or data?
Click here to request support.
GIS Consulting & Project Management
Our office can help you define and implement a GIS-based solution that meets your department’s mapping or analytical needs. We can provide guidance and support on your projects, small and large. We follow industry best practices and leverage the techniques documented on the University Services Program Management web site.
Click here to request a new project.
Twin Cities East Bank Sustainability Tour map
|The Twin Cities East Bank Sustainability Tour map is a good example of a static map with high quality cartography. Click on the map to download.|
University of Minnesota Duluth Campus Interactive map
|The University of Minnesota Duluth Campus interactive map demonstrates a good, campus-centric interactive web map. Click on the map to open.|
City of Minneapolis Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) map
|The City of Minneapolis Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) map is a good example of an interactive map, and integrates pie-charts in map pop-ups for effective reporting of information. Click on the map to open.|
GIS at University of Minnesota
- U-Spatial: Find out about spatial sciences and resources at the Univesity of Minnesota
- Twin Cities Masters of Geopgraphic Information Sciences program
- Twin Cities Cartography Lab
- Duluth Geographic Information Sciences Lab
- John R. Borchert Map Library: An excellent source for GIS data and archived maps & imagery; also has an excellent GIS lab open to the general public.
- University of Minnesota Maps and Directions
- Interactive Maps: Crookston, Duluth, Morris, and Twin Cities
- Twin Cities Parking and Transportation Services maps
- MnGeo: The State of Minnesota Geospatial Information Office
- MetroGIS: Twin Cities Metropolitan Council
- Minnesota DNR Data Deli
- U.S. Geological Survey Maps, Imagery, and Publications
- GIS Service Center: For University of Minnesota basemap data, contact the GIS Service Center.
General GIS Links
- Minnesota GIS/LIS: The largest GIS user group in the State of Minnesota.
- Esri: The worlds largest GIS software vendor. Primary software is ArcGIS.
- ArcGIS.com: Free on-line tool for making your own web and mobile maps.
- Campus FM Technology Association
- MapServer: An Open Source platform for developing interactive mapping for the web. Originally developed at the University of Minnesota.
- Geospatial Information and Technology Association (GITA)
- GeoCommons: Free GIS web mapping tool.
- Quantum GIS: A powerful Open Source GIS software suite.